British woman`s body claimed by authorised undertakers
Srinagar: People authorised by the British High Commission in New Delhi and the family of the British woman, who was murdered here on April 6 allegedly by a Dutch national, took her body in their custody here on Tuesday to fly it home, an official said.
"Two people of John Pinto International Private Ltd (funeral embalmers and undertakers) authorised by the British High Commission and the family came here today (Tuesday) to claim the body of Sarah Groves who was murdered on April 6," a senior police official said.
A Dutchman identified as Richard De Wit was arrested by the police in connection with the murder of the 24-year-old British woman.
Accompanied by a team of local policemen, the authorised undertakers went to the Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences Soura (SKIMS) to claim the body of Groves.
"After the completion of formalities, the body was taken by them ... from SKIMS to Srinagar International Airport for being flown out today (Tuesday)," the officer said.
Sarah Groves was found in a pool of blood in a houseboat on the Dal Lake here on April 6.
The Dutchman was also staying at the `New Beauty` houseboat here where Groves had been putting up for the last two months.
Sources in the police said the arrested Dutch national had confessed to murdering Groves but investigators are still trying to establish the motive behind the murder.
An autopsy conducted by a team of doctors had established that the British woman`s body bore multiple stab wounds which had caused her death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state