Brother of Delhi gang-rape victim appreciates new anti-rape ordinance
Ballia: The Centre`s move to pass an ordinance, through which death penalty could be awarded in case of rape leading to death of victim, has received support from the brother of Delhi gang-rape victim.
He told a news agency over phone today that public outrage nationally and internationally after the brutal incident had forced the Centre to frame stringent law.
The brother said the Centre`s move to make provisions for death penalty in case of rape and murder, and life term in case of rape, was an appreciable step, and hoped that it would now pave the way for capital punishment to the accused in the Delhi gang-rape case.
He said just as the government took a positive initiative in the direction of stringent anti-rape law, it should also frame a law to reduce the age of juvenile immediately.
One of the six accused in the gang-rape case has been declared a "minor" by the Juvenile Justice Board and could walk free by June 4, when he attains 18 years of age.
The 23-year-old paramedical student was gang-raped and brutally assaulted in December last year. She died a few days later in a Singapore hospital.
Rape that leads to death of the victim or leaving her in a vegetative state can attract death penalty under an ordinance cleared by the Union Cabinet last night, incorporating the Justice JS Verma Committee recommendations on tightening rape laws in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks