Brother of Delhi gang-rape victim appreciates new anti-rape ordinance
Ballia: The Centre`s move to pass an ordinance, through which death penalty could be awarded in case of rape leading to death of victim, has received support from the brother of Delhi gang-rape victim.
He told a news agency over phone today that public outrage nationally and internationally after the brutal incident had forced the Centre to frame stringent law.
The brother said the Centre`s move to make provisions for death penalty in case of rape and murder, and life term in case of rape, was an appreciable step, and hoped that it would now pave the way for capital punishment to the accused in the Delhi gang-rape case.
He said just as the government took a positive initiative in the direction of stringent anti-rape law, it should also frame a law to reduce the age of juvenile immediately.
One of the six accused in the gang-rape case has been declared a "minor" by the Juvenile Justice Board and could walk free by June 4, when he attains 18 years of age.
The 23-year-old paramedical student was gang-raped and brutally assaulted in December last year. She died a few days later in a Singapore hospital.
Rape that leads to death of the victim or leaving her in a vegetative state can attract death penalty under an ordinance cleared by the Union Cabinet last night, incorporating the Justice JS Verma Committee recommendations on tightening rape laws in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read