BSF cancels Raising Day events in view of Gujral`s death
New Delhi: The Border Security Force has cancelled its raising day celebrations to be held here tomorrow as a mark of respect to former Prime Minister I K Gujral, who died on Friday.
The border guarding force, also the country`s second largest paramilitary with 2.40 lakh personnel in various ranks, celebrates the day every year mark its raising in 1965.
"In view of the sad demise of former Prime Minister I K Gujral, all functions including 47th BSF raising day parade, which is scheduled at BSF camp Chhawla (in south Delhi) on December 1, 2012 is postponed," a force said in a statement.
While Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde was expected to take the salute at the parade, a host of top officials from the security establishment of the country were scheduled to take part in the celebrations of the force which guards two crucial Indian frontiers with Pakistan and Bangladesh.
A number of personnel from various formations and border locations of the force arrived in the national capital to take part in the annual celebrations.
A senior officer of the force said the event would be held sometime later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video