BSF commanding officer arrested for Kashmiri teenager`s killing
Srinagar: After days of suspense, the Border Security Force (BSF) commanding officer allegedly involved in the killing of a teenager here last month was Thursday arrested by Jammu and Kashmir police.
RK Birdi, commanding officer of the 68 battalion BSF, was formally arrested by the state police after he was handed over to the special investigation team by BSF authorities.
"We have arrested him and he will be questioned about the killing of 16-year old Zahid Farooq Sheikh who died after being shot in the chest by a BSF trooper on Feb 5 in Nishat area of the city," a police official said.
The state police had earlier arrested a trooper, Lakhwinder Kumar, after an in-house enquiry by the BSF found him to be involved in the killing of the youth.
He said during questioning that he had shot at the youth but had done so under orders from his commandant, Birdi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured