BSF man killed in LoC firing, infiltration bid along IB foiled
Jammu: A BSF jawan was killed in firing
from across the border today as security forces foiled two
separate infiltration bids in Jammu region.
There was a heavy cross-border firing from the
Pakistan side on Sabzain Forward Defence Location along the
Line of Control (LoC) in Poonch district around 1130 hours
today, a senior army official said.
Indian troops retaliated resulting in exchange of fire
for half-an-hour during which sepoy Shurvir Singh was killed.
This was the fifth infiltration bid in a week.
There were also reports of firing of two rockets on
the forward post in the same area at 1135 and 1145 hours.
Earlier, militants triggered a blast to cut into the
border fencing in Akhnoor sector of Jammu in the wee hours but
BSF troops foiled their attempt after a fierce gunfight.
Taking advantage of the dense fog in the area, a group
of militants triggered the blast near the border fencing in
Alfa Machel border outpost in Akhnoor, 35 km from here, a
senior BSF official said.
The gunfight continued for over an hour follwoing
which the militants fled.
As the fence has been cut, a major search operation
has been launched in the area to find out whether any militant
has managed to sneak in.
The first infiltration bid this year was foiled by BSF
at Narianpur Border outpost in Ramgarh sub-sector of Samba
district on January 4. There was another bid along the LoC in
Balakote area of Poonch on January 8. A BSF patrolling party
foiled a bid in the forward area of Garkhal in Pargwal belt of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons