BSF sets up board to ensure no tunnel on Indo-Pak border
Jammu: After detection of a 400-mt tunnel at the Indo-Pak border, BSF has set up a high-level board for meticulous scanning of the international boundary to rule out existence of such underground passages, a senior official said on Wednesday.
"IG BSF (Punjab Range) will head the board," Inspector General of the border guarding force, which protects 2,289 km of the IB along Pakistan, Rajiv Krishna told reporters here.
BSF authorities had detected the 400-mt tunnel from Pakistan to India along Indo-Pak Border in Samba district of Jammu and Kashmir on July 28 last year.
"It is a matter of very serious concern...This exercise is not only being carried out in Jammu frontier sector, but also along the entire western border," Krishna said.
He said scientists and experts from various institutions are involved in the exercise and interim measures along the Jammu frontier are being taken.
"We have identified certain places based on the soil and quality and other geographical and topographical features along with intelligence inputs," he said, adding, "We made changes in our deployment plan accordingly (for security)."
A team of scientists have recently visited Jammu frontier`s border in connection with detection of the tunnel, he said.
The Samba tunnel, which was apparently dug for infiltration and smuggling, was detected on July 28 last year after an area caved-in near the border fencing near Chillayari Border Out Post of BSF.
The tunnel at a depth of 25-ft had been dug out between two sides along the IB on India`s Chillayari BoP and Pakistan`s Lumberiyal BoP. It had air supply through a 2-inch pipe.
The tunnel was discovered accidentally by a farmer of Chachwal village, prompting the BSF to conduct an exhaustive survey of all those vulnerable spots along the border to detect any possible signs of a tunnel similar to the one unearthed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister