BSF stops Bangladeshi tribals` bid to enter India
Agartala: The Border Security Force (BSF) has foiled an attempt by over 250 Chakma tribals, including women and children, from Bangladesh to enter India after their homes were attacked, an officer said Sunday.
The BSF troopers have provided food and drinking water to these Chakma tribals, who gathered Saturday night opposite the border Silachari village in south Tripura, 225 km southeast of here.
"The tribals, belonged to Buddhist Chakma tribes, fled from their homes in Chittagong Hill Tracts in southeast Bangladesh after they were attacked by the non-tribals since Friday," a BSF officer told IANS on condition of anonymity.
He said that the troopers of the Border Guard Bangladesh have been persuading the tribals to return their homes.
In 1986, over 74,000 tribals, mostly Buddhist Chakmas, had sheltered in India`s southern Tripura following the violent attacks on thousands of tribals by the non-tribals.
Demanding a sovereign status for the tribals in Chittagong Hill Tracts, separatist outfit Shanti Bahini had waged a bloody guerrilla warfare against the Bangladesh government.
All the 74,000 refugees had returned to their homes in in 1997-1998 after the Bangladesh government had signed a peace agreement with the Shanti Bahini.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh