BSF to recruit 20,000 constables
Lakhnaur (Punjab): In a major expansion plan,
the Border Security Force would recruit 20,000 constables and
create new battalions, a top official said here on Thursday.
"The BSF is all set to create additional seven to eight
battalions soon and the force is prepared to recruit 20,000
constables to effectively dominate the border," BSF Additional
Director General (West) Himmat Singh Gill told reporters here
at the force camp on the occasion of 47th BSF day.
With a view to improve training infrastructure, 1,500 new
posts of instructors have also been created.
The expansion would be carried out with the grant of Rs
560 crore received by the paramilitary force from the Union
As part of its expansion plan, the BSF has introduced new
training courses for its personnel and for sending troops to
Gill said the performance of 650 lady constables inducted
in the force for the first time in 2008 was "better" as
compared to their counterpart male jawans.
On being asked if there is a threat in view of the
disturbed condition in neighbouring Pakistan, he said BSF was
"fully alert" and there was no definite information on any
possibility of infiltration on Punjab frontier.
"The border situation at present is normal, however,
Jammu and Kashmir frontier is a matter of concern as the trend
of infiltration has been continuing in state," he said.
As many as 157 Border Out Posts (BOPs) with improved
facilities are being set up in the western frontier and these
"composite posts" will have additional facilities, including
generator, water purifier and mobile connectivity, for jawans,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened