BSF trooper sets himself on fire, dies
Lucknow: A Border Security Force (BSF) trooper posted in Haryana burnt himself to death in Uttar Pradesh`s Saharanpur district, police said on Monday.
Rakesh Kumar, who was around 40 years old, set himself on fire late Sunday inside his house in Chandrapalkhedi village," police inspector BR Verma told reporters in Saharanpur, some 450 km from Lucknow.
"Rakesh set himself on fire while he was alone at home. After noticing the smoke emanating from the house, locals rushed to the spot and found the charred body of Rakesh lying in one corner," Verma said.
"We are yet to ascertain what made Rakesh take the extreme step. Preliminary investigations reveal Rakesh was not well for the last few days. He was in depression and preferred remaining aloof from his family members," the official added.
Kumar came to his native Chandrapalkhedi village around two weeks back from Hisar, where he was posted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Washington Navy Yard lockdown: As it happened