BSF women in Beating Retreat at Wagah border
Attari: For the first time in over four decades, women personnel of the Border Security
Force (BSF) has been made part of the routine Beating Retreat Ceremony at Wagah on the Indo-Pak border here.
BSF, which guards the country`s border with Pakistan and Bangladesh, appointed women constables last year to perform duty on the International Border.
But their role was confined to routine patrolling and managing crowds.
"Women constables were inducted into the frontier force for the first time in the history but only on an experimental basis," BSF DIG Mohammad Aquil said.
On their new role at the Beating Retreat Ceremony which draws large crowds during sunset everyday, Aquil said, "We would watch for a few days the performance of women. It is a very hard job and if they feel comfortable and don`t receive any injury, only then they would be allowed to continue," he said.
Women are assigned to lead the ceremony by marching towards the iron international gate, where the flag posts of India and Pakistan are located.
The decision to depute women constables comes in the wake of the border guarding forces on the two sides agreeing to tone down their aggressive postures at the ceremony.
Earlier Pakistan Rangers were adamant to continue the parade with red eyes in aggressive gesture and show thumb to the Indian forces, whereas the BSF shunned the practice long back.
The ceremony during which Indian and Pakistani flags are lowered just before sunset has been an attraction for years. Though it is a symbolic un-hoisting of flags, the drill
had earned the tag of being one of the most aggressive of its kind.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM