BSP, AIADMK, Left want rollback of fare hike
New Delhi: Members belonging to BSP, AIADMK,
and Left parties on Wednesday made a strong demand in the Rajya Sabha
that the hike in passenger fares announced in the Rail Budget
be withdrawn while the Congress wanted the Railway Ministry to
pay more attention to safety.
Participating in resumed debate on the Railway Budget, BSP
member S P Singh Beghel said, "Hike in fare is not justified.
It should be rolled back."
He suggested the government to adopt new techniques to
provide uninterrupted train service in winter besides
upgradation of stations in big cities on the lines of Delhi
Demanding roll back of increase in passenger fares, P
Rajeeve (CPI-M) also sought withdrawal of fuel adjustment
component in passenger fare and setting up Rail Tariff
Regulatory Authority for rationalising fare and freight rates.
"These two things are very dangerous. I urge if the TMC
stands for its commitment towards aam admi, it should withdraw
these proposals," he said.
He also demanded the government to present the status
report of last three Budgets.
Stating that Indian Railways is standing at crossroads,
Motilal Vora (Cong) urged the new railway minister to pay more
attention on creating jobs for youth and safety.
Yogendra Trivedi (NCP) said former Railway Minister Dinesh
Trivedi was "brave" to raise the fare but not tactful. He
could have rolled back fares of sleeper class and stayed on as
the Railway Minister.
Sayeed Azeez (CPI) also demanded roll back of the fare
along with N Balaganga of AIADMK.
Sabir Ali (JD-U) regretted the early exit of Trivedi,
wondering as to what was the hurry to remove him just ahead of
the discussion on the Rail Budget.
Rajniti Prasad (RJD) and A A Jinnah (DMK) also spoke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- PCB confident of getting Mohammad Amir's visa for England tour
- Microsoft's Windows 10 upgrade criticized by Chinese users
- Shaharyar Khan hints at stepping down in August
- Ranji games at neutral venues, Duleep's zonal system scrapped
- Donald Trump slams Barack Obama for not mentioning Pearl Harbour attack