BSP, AIADMK, Left want rollback of fare hike
New Delhi: Members belonging to BSP, AIADMK,
and Left parties on Wednesday made a strong demand in the Rajya Sabha
that the hike in passenger fares announced in the Rail Budget
be withdrawn while the Congress wanted the Railway Ministry to
pay more attention to safety.
Participating in resumed debate on the Railway Budget, BSP
member S P Singh Beghel said, "Hike in fare is not justified.
It should be rolled back."
He suggested the government to adopt new techniques to
provide uninterrupted train service in winter besides
upgradation of stations in big cities on the lines of Delhi
Demanding roll back of increase in passenger fares, P
Rajeeve (CPI-M) also sought withdrawal of fuel adjustment
component in passenger fare and setting up Rail Tariff
Regulatory Authority for rationalising fare and freight rates.
"These two things are very dangerous. I urge if the TMC
stands for its commitment towards aam admi, it should withdraw
these proposals," he said.
He also demanded the government to present the status
report of last three Budgets.
Stating that Indian Railways is standing at crossroads,
Motilal Vora (Cong) urged the new railway minister to pay more
attention on creating jobs for youth and safety.
Yogendra Trivedi (NCP) said former Railway Minister Dinesh
Trivedi was "brave" to raise the fare but not tactful. He
could have rolled back fares of sleeper class and stayed on as
the Railway Minister.
Sayeed Azeez (CPI) also demanded roll back of the fare
along with N Balaganga of AIADMK.
Sabir Ali (JD-U) regretted the early exit of Trivedi,
wondering as to what was the hurry to remove him just ahead of
the discussion on the Rail Budget.
Rajniti Prasad (RJD) and A A Jinnah (DMK) also spoke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof