BSP chief Mayawati backs Lokpal Bill
New Delhi: BSP chief Mayawati on Friday said her party supports the Lokpal Bill and demanded that the government should ensure its passage in the ongoing session of Parliament.
"Our party is not against the Lokpal Bill. If there is any need for changes in it, it should be done in public interest. But this Bill should not be stalled and there should be a debate on the issue and it should be passed in this session itself," she told reporters outside Parliament House.
The BSP supremo was replying to a question on her party`s stand on the issue.
The Bill is scheduled to be discussed in Rajya Sabha today and is expected to come up for discussion in Lok Sabha next week.
JD(U) also supported the Bill with its spokesperson K C Tyagi saying, "The recommendations of the Select Committee on Lokpal were acceptable to all and we are in favour of an effective Lokpal and want it to be cleared. There should be proper debate on the issue."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH