BSP demands special session of Parliament for quota bill
New Delhi: Terming the Congress-led UPA Government as "anti-Dalit", BSP on Friday demanded that a special session of Parliament should be called this month to clear the Bill for reservation in promotions for SC/ST employees.
"We have requested the Centre to call a special session of Parliament this month to get this Bill cleared but before that the Government should ensure that the House will function smoothly," BSP supremo Mayawati told reporters outside Parliament.
"Find a middle path on this coal scam so that there is peaceful atmosphere in the House and we are able to get the Bill cleared. We had talked about this to the Centre also but they have not accepted our request," she said.
The BSP had yesterday sought an extension of the Monsoon session by 10-12 days to get the Bill cleared.
Blaming the Congress for not getting the Bill cleared, the BSP leader said the Government had listed the Bill for discussion in the Rajya Sabha today but it didn`t take it up in the House.
"For the last two days, their Minister stood up for discussion on this but today he didn`t even stand up. He was so terrified that he could not do so. This shows the anti-Dalit mindset of the Congress-led UPA," Mayawati said.
She said the Congress-led UPA was "mainly responsible" for getting the Bill deferred for another two-three months and this shows that it did not want the Bill to be cleared.
Asked if she would hold an agitation for getting the Bill cleared, the BSP chief said the media has already spread the awareness and need for the Bill to be cleared among the SC/STs across the country and there was no need to do so for her party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video