BSP, government get into war of words on quota bill
New Delhi: A war of words broke out on Thursday between BSP chief Mayawati and the government as the bill for job promotion quota for SCs and STs could not be passed in Lok Sabha during the Winter Session.
Slamming UPA for not making adequate efforts to have the Constitution (117th Amendment) Bill passed, Mayawati said she always doubted the Centre`s sincerity on the issue and virtually put the government on notice.
"We will write to the Prime Minister for a special session. We will give them one or two more chances. We will raise the issue again in the Budget Session," said Mayawati, whose BSP with 36 members in both the Houses of Parliament had bailed out the government on the FDI issue. The Winter Session ended today.
BSP and arch-rival SP provide crucial outside support to UPA, which does not enjoy a majority in Rajya Sabha.
"This is a bill not of BSP or Mayawatiji. This is the bill of Congress party. Let us be very clear on it. It is the bill of the government and the current government is the Congress government," Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath said.
Mayawati said the government should have made efforts to have SP members suspended from the House after one of them snatched the bill from Minister for Personnel and Public Grievances V Narayanasamy.
"The whole country has seen the drama by the government on the issue. We condemn the Centre and Congress for not getting the bill for reservation in promotion passed," she told reporters outside Parliament premises.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, who is also the Leader of the Lok Sabha, also rejected Mayawati`s allegation that Congress was not serious about the passage of the bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees