BSP joins BJP over special Parl session for stringent rape law
New Delhi: BSP chief Mayawati on Sunday joined BJP in demanding convening of a special session of Parliament to enact a stringent law for rape and said the occasion could also used to pass a bill which seeks to provide quota in promotion to SC/ST government employees.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, she sought convening of the session to amend laws relating to crime against women to provide for stringent punishment as also to pass the Constitutional amendment bill pending in Lok Sabha.
BJP leader Sushma Swaraj had yesterday urged the Prime Minister to convene Parliament for amending the existing law to provide death sentence for heinous crimes against women.
Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, who is Leader of the Lok Sabha, has, however, ruled out Swaraj`s demand.
Mayawati, in her letter, also blamed Samajwadi Party for not allowing the quota bill to be passed in Lok Sabha on the last two days of the just-ended Winter Session, and said the special session should be convened before the Budget Session.
She said the bill could have been passed had the government requested the Chair to either suspend the SP members or get them removed by marshals.
Referring to last Sunday`s gang-rape case here, Mayawati said such incidents are on the rise across the country, especially in Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Delhi.
Targeting the Akhilesh Yadav government, the former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister blamed the SP regime for the prevailing law and order situation in the state. "There have been 1500 cases of rape in UP in the last nine months," she said.
Seeking protection of women, Mayawati recalled that several political leaders had supported amending the existing laws dealing with crime against women to make them more stringent.
BJP today once again demanded a special session of Parliament to discuss the `entire gamut of law and order issue` in the wake of the gang-rape incident that has sparked a wave of protests.
"We demand a special session of Parliament for discussing the whole gamut of issues concerning law and order," party spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said as he condemned the police action against the protesters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon