BSP MLA accused of raping minor held in Banda
Lucknow: Absconding ruling BSP MLA
Purushottam Naresh Dwivedi, who allegedly raped a teenaged
dalit girl, was on Thursday arrested in Banda district, police
Dwivedi, who represents Naraini seat in UP Assembly,
was on the run after orders for his arrest were issued
yesterday in connection with the alleged criminal assault on
the 17-year-old girl belonging to the backward community.
After the incident, the girl had been arrested on
theft charges last month following a complaint by the MLA.
The legislator, who is in his 40s, was arrested in
Banda, about 220 kms from here.
In Lucknow, Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh,
when faced with a volley of questions from reporters on the
whereabouts of the MLA, hinted that the legislator had been
"There will be no need for you to ask this question.
Give us a little more time," he said.
A case of rape had been registered against the MLA,
who was suspended by the party in the wake of the allegations,
and his three aides in the case.
The two aides --Rajendra Shukla and Surendra Neta--
were arrested in Banda district yesterday following an FIR
against them. The third accused Ravan Garg is still absconding
and raids were being carried out to arrest him.
Soon after the state CB-CID submitted its preliminary
report in the case yesterday, the Mayawati government ordered
registration of an FIR against them.
"On the directive of the Chief Minister, a case of
rape has been registered against the MLA and his three aides,"
the Cabinet Secretary said.
He, however, said the theft charge on which the girl
was arrested was found to be true.
"But we are not giving clean chit to anyone including
the policemen. Stern action will be taken against all those
found guilty," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested