BSP MLA accused of raping minor held in Banda
Lucknow: Absconding ruling BSP MLA
Purushottam Naresh Dwivedi, who allegedly raped a teenaged
dalit girl, was on Thursday arrested in Banda district, police
Dwivedi, who represents Naraini seat in UP Assembly,
was on the run after orders for his arrest were issued
yesterday in connection with the alleged criminal assault on
the 17-year-old girl belonging to the backward community.
After the incident, the girl had been arrested on
theft charges last month following a complaint by the MLA.
The legislator, who is in his 40s, was arrested in
Banda, about 220 kms from here.
In Lucknow, Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh,
when faced with a volley of questions from reporters on the
whereabouts of the MLA, hinted that the legislator had been
"There will be no need for you to ask this question.
Give us a little more time," he said.
A case of rape had been registered against the MLA,
who was suspended by the party in the wake of the allegations,
and his three aides in the case.
The two aides --Rajendra Shukla and Surendra Neta--
were arrested in Banda district yesterday following an FIR
against them. The third accused Ravan Garg is still absconding
and raids were being carried out to arrest him.
Soon after the state CB-CID submitted its preliminary
report in the case yesterday, the Mayawati government ordered
registration of an FIR against them.
"On the directive of the Chief Minister, a case of
rape has been registered against the MLA and his three aides,"
the Cabinet Secretary said.
He, however, said the theft charge on which the girl
was arrested was found to be true.
"But we are not giving clean chit to anyone including
the policemen. Stern action will be taken against all those
found guilty," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price