BSP MP alleges manhandling by SPG; govt apologises
New Delhi: Lok Sabha on Wednesday witnessed uproar
after a BSP member was alleged manhandling by SPG personnel in
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s security in Parliament
complex, prompting the government to apologise for the
The issue was raised by BSP leader in House Dara Singh
Chauhan during Zero Hour. He said his party colleague Rama
Shankar Rajbhar was allegedly manhandled by the SPG personnel
in Parliament and demanded action against those responsible.
"In the name of providing security to the Prime Minister,
Members of Parliament are being insulted day in and day out.
It is an insult to this august House," Chauhan said while
demanding a thorough probe into the matter.
The BSP members were joined by those of Samajwadi Party in
rushing into the Well and creating uproar. In view of the din,
Deputy Speaker Kariya Munda adjourned the House till 2 PM.
When the Lok Sabha re-assembled, Finance Minister and
Leader of the House Pranab Mukherjee said that since Chauhan
had expressed concern about "unfortunate" incident, "I
sincerely apologise on behalf of the government."
He said it was not the question of individual MP but if an
MP was insulted in Parliament precinct, "it is not at all
Chauhan intervened, questioning the necessity of SPG`s
presence in Parliament complex for protection of the Prime
Minister when there was adequate security for every other MP.
"I agree with you (Chauhan) that in the precincts of
Parliament, everybody is equal, all members are equal. There
are no two opinions about it," Mukherjee said.
"Nobody is higher, nobody is lower. I am extremely sorry,"
he said, adding the Prime Minister himself had told him to
"apologise on behalf of the government".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam