BSP MP alleges manhandling by SPG; govt apologises
New Delhi: Lok Sabha on Wednesday witnessed uproar
after a BSP member was alleged manhandling by SPG personnel in
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s security in Parliament
complex, prompting the government to apologise for the
The issue was raised by BSP leader in House Dara Singh
Chauhan during Zero Hour. He said his party colleague Rama
Shankar Rajbhar was allegedly manhandled by the SPG personnel
in Parliament and demanded action against those responsible.
"In the name of providing security to the Prime Minister,
Members of Parliament are being insulted day in and day out.
It is an insult to this august House," Chauhan said while
demanding a thorough probe into the matter.
The BSP members were joined by those of Samajwadi Party in
rushing into the Well and creating uproar. In view of the din,
Deputy Speaker Kariya Munda adjourned the House till 2 PM.
When the Lok Sabha re-assembled, Finance Minister and
Leader of the House Pranab Mukherjee said that since Chauhan
had expressed concern about "unfortunate" incident, "I
sincerely apologise on behalf of the government."
He said it was not the question of individual MP but if an
MP was insulted in Parliament precinct, "it is not at all
Chauhan intervened, questioning the necessity of SPG`s
presence in Parliament complex for protection of the Prime
Minister when there was adequate security for every other MP.
"I agree with you (Chauhan) that in the precincts of
Parliament, everybody is equal, all members are equal. There
are no two opinions about it," Mukherjee said.
"Nobody is higher, nobody is lower. I am extremely sorry,"
he said, adding the Prime Minister himself had told him to
"apologise on behalf of the government".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Water tanker scam: ACB trying to arrest me, says Delhi Water Minister Kapil Mishra
- Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya's bail plea rejected — What NIA court said
- PM condoles death of Naga leader Isak Swu
- Photo alert! Divyanka Tripathi and Vivek Dahiya’s pre-wedding shoot looks like a fairytale
- Watch: Tiger Shroff, alleged girlfriend Disha Patani's sizzling chemistry is unmissable in 'Befikra'!