BSP observes `silence` in RS in memory of slain UP
New Delhi: In an interesting development, BSP members today stood in `silence` in the Rajya Sabha in memory of slain Uttar Pradesh Deputy Superintendent of Police, a day after Chairman Hamid Ansari disallowed them to do so as it was not in accordance with set traditions of the House.
The `two-minute silence` was observed by BSP members who stood up soon after Brajesh Pathak raised the issue. Pathak, whose party is in opposition in Uttar Pradesh, while speaking on the Motion of Thanks to the President`s address talked about "deteriorating" law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh and the killing of the DSP.
The BSP members` gesture took by surprise the Chair and some members, with Deputy Chairman P J Kurien seen asking the Rajya Sabha staff and the standing members as to what they were doing.
Yesterday, when members of the Upper House condoled the death of 13 school children in a road accident in Punjab and stood up to observe silence in their memory, Satish Misra (BSP) had sought a similar condolence in memory of Pratapgarh DSP Zia-ul-Haq, who was gunned down last week.
Ansari had, however, disallowed it, saying the House has an established practice in this regard.
The DSP was killed allegedly by a mob on Saturday. His wife has accused Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias `Raja Bhaiya`, who has subsequently resigned as a minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!