BSP observes `silence` in RS in memory of slain UP
New Delhi: In an interesting development, BSP members today stood in `silence` in the Rajya Sabha in memory of slain Uttar Pradesh Deputy Superintendent of Police, a day after Chairman Hamid Ansari disallowed them to do so as it was not in accordance with set traditions of the House.
The `two-minute silence` was observed by BSP members who stood up soon after Brajesh Pathak raised the issue. Pathak, whose party is in opposition in Uttar Pradesh, while speaking on the Motion of Thanks to the President`s address talked about "deteriorating" law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh and the killing of the DSP.
The BSP members` gesture took by surprise the Chair and some members, with Deputy Chairman P J Kurien seen asking the Rajya Sabha staff and the standing members as to what they were doing.
Yesterday, when members of the Upper House condoled the death of 13 school children in a road accident in Punjab and stood up to observe silence in their memory, Satish Misra (BSP) had sought a similar condolence in memory of Pratapgarh DSP Zia-ul-Haq, who was gunned down last week.
Ansari had, however, disallowed it, saying the House has an established practice in this regard.
The DSP was killed allegedly by a mob on Saturday. His wife has accused Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias `Raja Bhaiya`, who has subsequently resigned as a minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Amnesty row: Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara takes U-turn, denies giving clean-chit
- Volkswagen cuts 28,000 workers' hours over supply woes
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts
- Rio Olympics: Pele congratulates Brazil on football gold
- Handful of vested interests inciting trouble in Kashmir: J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti