BSP seeks disqualification of its RS member for joining BJP
New Delhi: BSP on Tuesday initiated the process of getting SP Singh Baghel disqualified as a Rajya Sabha member, days after he defected to BJP.
The BSP has approached Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari with a plea to disqualify Baghel under the provisions of Schedule 10 (anti-defection law) for joining another party without giving up its membership of Parliament, the party said in a statement.
Baghel had joined BJP in presence of state in-charge Amit Shah in Lucknow on Saturday last.
Baghel was elected to Rajya Sabha on a BSP candidate in 2012 and his term is to end on July 4, 2016.
He had won Lok Sabha elections on Samajwadi Party ticket in 1998, 1999 and 2004 from Jalesar. He left SP after the party denied him ticket from Firozabad.
Baghel later contested against Akhilesh Yadav from Firozabad as BSP candidate. He later contested a by-election against Akhilesh`s wife Dimple, who had lost against Congress` Raj Babbar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble