BSP seeks disqualification of its RS member for joining BJP
New Delhi: BSP on Tuesday initiated the process of getting SP Singh Baghel disqualified as a Rajya Sabha member, days after he defected to BJP.
The BSP has approached Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari with a plea to disqualify Baghel under the provisions of Schedule 10 (anti-defection law) for joining another party without giving up its membership of Parliament, the party said in a statement.
Baghel had joined BJP in presence of state in-charge Amit Shah in Lucknow on Saturday last.
Baghel was elected to Rajya Sabha on a BSP candidate in 2012 and his term is to end on July 4, 2016.
He had won Lok Sabha elections on Samajwadi Party ticket in 1998, 1999 and 2004 from Jalesar. He left SP after the party denied him ticket from Firozabad.
Baghel later contested against Akhilesh Yadav from Firozabad as BSP candidate. He later contested a by-election against Akhilesh`s wife Dimple, who had lost against Congress` Raj Babbar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding