BSP seeks disqualification of its RS member for joining BJP
New Delhi: BSP on Tuesday initiated the process of getting SP Singh Baghel disqualified as a Rajya Sabha member, days after he defected to BJP.
The BSP has approached Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari with a plea to disqualify Baghel under the provisions of Schedule 10 (anti-defection law) for joining another party without giving up its membership of Parliament, the party said in a statement.
Baghel had joined BJP in presence of state in-charge Amit Shah in Lucknow on Saturday last.
Baghel was elected to Rajya Sabha on a BSP candidate in 2012 and his term is to end on July 4, 2016.
He had won Lok Sabha elections on Samajwadi Party ticket in 1998, 1999 and 2004 from Jalesar. He left SP after the party denied him ticket from Firozabad.
Baghel later contested against Akhilesh Yadav from Firozabad as BSP candidate. He later contested a by-election against Akhilesh`s wife Dimple, who had lost against Congress` Raj Babbar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof