BSP, SP walk out of Lok Sabha ahead of FDI vote
New Delhi: Just ahead of crucial vote on FDI in the multi-brand retail, the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) led by Mayawati and Samajwadi Party on Wednesday walked out of the Lok Sabha.
With this development, Lok Sabha strength has fallen to 500. Notably, the UPA government needs only 251 votes to win the FDI debate.
"This government is anti-farmer," SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav said.
With the two parties walking out, the halfway mark in the house came down.
"Five crore people in retail trade will be destroyed. This decision has ignored the interests of 20 crore farmers and their families. The decision on FDI was taken under pressure of foreign companies. This is the reason the party boycotted it," Mulayam Singh said.
Asked whether the SP`s move can help the government in mustering the required numbers, he said: "This is not about helping or harming the government. The whole party and MPs had decided to stage a walkout. This was decided by the party and the SP will continue to oppose every wrong decision of the government."
Both parties support the ruling UPA from outside.
The Rajya Sabha will begin debating the issue on Thursday and will vote on Friday. Of the total 245 members in the Rajya Sabha, the UPA has a strength of 90.
(With IANS inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'