BSP stalls Question Hour in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) on Wednesday stalled the Question Hour in Rajya Sabha demanding construction of a memorial for Bhimrao Ambedkar in Mumbai.
As soon as the House met for the day, Mayawati (BSP) rose in her seat saying people have been awaiting for years for a memorial at a land owned by the Textile Ministry in Mumbai.
"We want government to give an assurance," she said.
Chairman Hamid Ansari said a statement by the government is listed in the agenda and the announcement will be made at noon.
Mayawati, however, demanded that the Question Hour be suspended and the statement be made forthwith.
Ansari said the Question Hour will not be suspended as the matter has already been listed for 1200 hours. "At 1200 hours you will get the government announcement... it is listed."
As Mayawati and other BSP members were unrelenting, Ansari said, "This is not going on record. Please sit down."
"You are a very senior leader," he told Mayawati and asked members to allow Question Hour to proceed.
Ansari said representatives of all political parties had been told in the morning meeting that an announcement on Ambedkar memorial will be made at 1200 hours.
"Why not now?" Mayawati retorted.
When Ansari said there was no notice for suspension of Question Hour, Mayawati said the statement at noon will be meaningless if the House is not allowed to function.
But with Ansari standing firm, Mayawati and other BSP members rushed into the Well raising slogans in support of the memorial.
Ansari then adjourned the House till noon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional