BSP stalls Question Hour in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) on Wednesday stalled the Question Hour in Rajya Sabha demanding construction of a memorial for Bhimrao Ambedkar in Mumbai.
As soon as the House met for the day, Mayawati (BSP) rose in her seat saying people have been awaiting for years for a memorial at a land owned by the Textile Ministry in Mumbai.
"We want government to give an assurance," she said.
Chairman Hamid Ansari said a statement by the government is listed in the agenda and the announcement will be made at noon.
Mayawati, however, demanded that the Question Hour be suspended and the statement be made forthwith.
Ansari said the Question Hour will not be suspended as the matter has already been listed for 1200 hours. "At 1200 hours you will get the government announcement... it is listed."
As Mayawati and other BSP members were unrelenting, Ansari said, "This is not going on record. Please sit down."
"You are a very senior leader," he told Mayawati and asked members to allow Question Hour to proceed.
Ansari said representatives of all political parties had been told in the morning meeting that an announcement on Ambedkar memorial will be made at 1200 hours.
"Why not now?" Mayawati retorted.
When Ansari said there was no notice for suspension of Question Hour, Mayawati said the statement at noon will be meaningless if the House is not allowed to function.
But with Ansari standing firm, Mayawati and other BSP members rushed into the Well raising slogans in support of the memorial.
Ansari then adjourned the House till noon.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata