BSY camp appears headed for showdown with rivals
Bangalore: The BS Yeddyurappa camp appears headed for a major showdown with the rival side at the BJP legislature party meeting here Wednesday, with the race for the Chief Minister`s post narrowing down to D V Sadananda
Gowda and Jagadish Shettar.
Yeddyurappa, who quit as Chief Minister following the political upheaval over the Lokayukta report indicting him on illegal mining, has publicly announced that his choice is Gowda, a former state unit party president.
But the rival camp spearheaded by Yeddyurappa`s bitter rival BJP National General Secretary H N Ananth Kumar, Tuesday today made it known they have decided on the candidature of Shettar.
"I, Shettar and (State unit President K S) Eshwarappa were in the contest for Chief Minister`s post. After that, we sat together and held discussions. (senior BJP leader H N)
Ananth Kumar has also joined us. After discussions, we have felt Shettar may become Chief Minister", Home and Transport Minister R Ashoka told reporters here.
Yeddyurappa has made it known to the party high command that Shettar`s candidature would not be acceptable to him. Shettar, a former state unit president, comes from the dominant Lingayat community, to which Yeddyurappa also belongs.
Speaking to reporters in the district headquarters town of Tumkur today, Yeddyurappa, who tendered his resignation on Sunday, said, "Central leaders (Arun Jaitley and Rajnath Singh) are coming (to Bangalore) tonight. I am confident that the next Chief Minister will be by consensus".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'