Buddha to attend Mamata’s swearing-in ceremony?
Kolkata: It appears that the CPI-M is yet to come to terms to its humiliating defeat at the hands of Trinamool Congress as the party is still undecided over sending its outgoing chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee to attend the swearing-in ceremony of his successor Mamata Banerjee.
Reports on Thursday claimed that Mamata Bannerjee had invited Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, Left Front chairman and Communist Party of India (Marxist) state secretary Biman , besides top leaders from the Congress party to attend the swearing-in ceremony.
However, the CPI-M has been maintaining a stoic silence on the issue and has said that a final call will be taken by the central committee.
The TMC leader is set to take oath as the first woman Chief Minister of West Bengal tomorrow, along with her Cabinet members at 1.01 pm.
A list of 3200 invitees has been prepared to witness the remarkable oath-taking ceremony. Mamata’s entire family will also attend the ceremony.
Others in the list will include one representative each from the state political parties recognized by the Election Commission of India. Besides them, prominent industrialists, intellectuals and popular celebrities from the field of art and culture will also be invited.
The preparations for the grand ceremony is in full swing and the Writers’ Building is being decked up for the purpose.
Sonia not to attend the ceremony
Meanwhile, it has emerged that Congress president Sonia Gandhi will not be attending the swearing-in ceremony of Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee as West Bengal Chief Minister in Kolkata on Friday.
Instead, Home Minister P Chidambaram will represent the Congress at the function along with Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, AICC general secretary Janardan Dwivedi said.
Dwivedi said Defence Minister AK Antony and CWC member Shakeel Ahmed, who is in-charge of party affairs in West Bengal will go to Kolkata on Thursday to attend the meeting of Congress Legislature Party as central observers from the party. Antony may also stay back for the swearing in ceremony.
Sources said the decision on the issue of Congress` participation in the Mamata-led government will be taken in the CLP meeting on Thursday, adding indications are positive.
With PTI Inputs
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- WATCH: Urvashi Rautela's sizzling dance with Dwayne Bravo at a party!
- Sangeeta Bijlani not miffed with 'Azhar', says Emraan Hashmi
- No sugar shortage: 31 million MT sugar to be available during 2016-17
- Vegan? Here's how you can get all key nutrients!
- India performing well as compared to other nations: UN expert