Buddhadeb intimated his inability to attend Congress: Karat
Kozhikode: Seeking to play down the absence of Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, CPI-M general secretary Prakash Karat on Thursday said the Politburo member and former West Bengal chief minister had written to the leadership conveying his inability to participate in the party Congress owing to ill-health.
In the letter addressed to him, Bhattacharjee expressed regret at his absence due to his continuing ill-health. "There was nothing else in the letter as is being speculated by the media," Karat told reporters here.
The central committee, which met here on April 3, had considered his request and given permission for the absence, he said.
He denied reports that Bhattacharjee had asked the central leadership to exclude him from the Politburo and the central committee.
On reports that the party Congress might take a decision to drop him from the two committees, he said, "Wait for another three days and all speculations will be put to rest."
"He is our valuable comrade and important leader. But he is not able to travel due to his ill health," Karat said, adding Bhattacharjee`s absence was "naturally" felt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- IT'S DISTURBING: Watch little Syrian girl singing before a bomb explodes
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel