Buddhadeb intimated his inability to attend Congress: Karat
Kozhikode: Seeking to play down the absence of Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, CPI-M general secretary Prakash Karat on Thursday said the Politburo member and former West Bengal chief minister had written to the leadership conveying his inability to participate in the party Congress owing to ill-health.
In the letter addressed to him, Bhattacharjee expressed regret at his absence due to his continuing ill-health. "There was nothing else in the letter as is being speculated by the media," Karat told reporters here.
The central committee, which met here on April 3, had considered his request and given permission for the absence, he said.
He denied reports that Bhattacharjee had asked the central leadership to exclude him from the Politburo and the central committee.
On reports that the party Congress might take a decision to drop him from the two committees, he said, "Wait for another three days and all speculations will be put to rest."
"He is our valuable comrade and important leader. But he is not able to travel due to his ill health," Karat said, adding Bhattacharjee`s absence was "naturally" felt.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Top Islamic State operative killed in Lebanon
- Bipasha Basu – Karan Singh Grover wedding: The countdown has officially begun
- Syrian army set for offensive to retake Aleppo: Report
- Southwest Japan records over 1,000 aftershocks
- 7th Pay Commission: Maruti prepares database of 17 million government employees, eyes extra cash