Buddhadeb intimated his inability to attend Congress: Karat
Kozhikode: Seeking to play down the absence of Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, CPI-M general secretary Prakash Karat on Thursday said the Politburo member and former West Bengal chief minister had written to the leadership conveying his inability to participate in the party Congress owing to ill-health.
In the letter addressed to him, Bhattacharjee expressed regret at his absence due to his continuing ill-health. "There was nothing else in the letter as is being speculated by the media," Karat told reporters here.
The central committee, which met here on April 3, had considered his request and given permission for the absence, he said.
He denied reports that Bhattacharjee had asked the central leadership to exclude him from the Politburo and the central committee.
On reports that the party Congress might take a decision to drop him from the two committees, he said, "Wait for another three days and all speculations will be put to rest."
"He is our valuable comrade and important leader. But he is not able to travel due to his ill health," Karat said, adding Bhattacharjee`s absence was "naturally" felt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part III
- Houston shooting: Two shot dead including suspect, six left wounded
- Amitabh Bachchan proud of hosting girl child segment at government's gala
- LGBT community won't be free till section 377 exists: Celina Jaitley
- Premature babies at greater of risk of osteoporosis in adulthood
- Government to crack down on savings scams as PM Modi backs banking for all