Buddhists should be aware of the progress of science: Dalai
Bhubaneswar: The Dalai Lama today asked
Buddhists to be abreast of the progress of science along with
their efforts to know the essence of spirituality.
"Buddhists of the 21st century should have full
knowledge about modernity and science," the monk told
reporters on his arrival here en route to the Tibetan
settlement of Chandragiri in Gajapati district where he is to
unveil South Asia`s biggest Monastery tomorrow.
Efforts should continue to know the essence of
Buddhism, he said adding "I always stress that we should know
the meaning of spirituality. What we know is not sufficient."
Stating that Tibetan Buddhism had a major link to
Orissa, the Nobel Peace prize winner said some great masters
on Buddhism had hailed from Orissa.
"In my day-to-day practice, I also consult some
Buddhist masters from Orissa," he said adding that large areas
in Orissa remained under-developed.
Observing that tribals constitute a sizeable section
of Orissa`s population, the Dalai Lama said education of
tribals was essential for their development. "Real change
should be in rural areas and not just in a few cities."
Stating that people of India are normally slow-moving
due to hot climate, he said they would have to work hard to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez