Buddhists should be aware of the progress of science: Dalai
Bhubaneswar: The Dalai Lama today asked
Buddhists to be abreast of the progress of science along with
their efforts to know the essence of spirituality.
"Buddhists of the 21st century should have full
knowledge about modernity and science," the monk told
reporters on his arrival here en route to the Tibetan
settlement of Chandragiri in Gajapati district where he is to
unveil South Asia`s biggest Monastery tomorrow.
Efforts should continue to know the essence of
Buddhism, he said adding "I always stress that we should know
the meaning of spirituality. What we know is not sufficient."
Stating that Tibetan Buddhism had a major link to
Orissa, the Nobel Peace prize winner said some great masters
on Buddhism had hailed from Orissa.
"In my day-to-day practice, I also consult some
Buddhist masters from Orissa," he said adding that large areas
in Orissa remained under-developed.
Observing that tribals constitute a sizeable section
of Orissa`s population, the Dalai Lama said education of
tribals was essential for their development. "Real change
should be in rural areas and not just in a few cities."
Stating that people of India are normally slow-moving
due to hot climate, he said they would have to work hard to
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living