Budget not `anti-aam admi`, says Chidambaram
Karaikudi (TN): Union Home Minister P
Chidambaram on Saturday condemned the walkout by Opposition parties
during the Union Budget presentation and rejected their charge
that the budget was "anti-aam admi".
Listing out allocations made for various key sectors,
including village development, women and child development
and social sector, he asked "how could the opposition say the
budget is anti aam admi?" referring to the entire opposition
walking out of the Lok Sabha yesterday.
"You should see the global circumstance under which the
budget has been presented and appreciate it because the
country`s economy is growing when the economy of other
countries is slowing down...
"The budget has been presented purely with the poor in
mind,"the former finance minister said at a meeting organised
by Congress on "Union budget 2010-11" here, in his native
Chidambaram said economic growth would touch 8.5 per cent
next year and nine per cent in the year after the next year.
The economy had been growing steadily when even the developed
countries were struggling to recover.
Stating that a lot of money would be allocated for rural
hospitals, health schemes, roads and other amenities, he asked
the people to be watchful and ensure that their money was
spent properly by the states. They should seek details under
the Right to Information Act on money received from the Centre
and spent by the state governments.
"If the money allocated by the Centre is spent properly, I
have no doubt, villages will have all basic amenities."
He said Tamil Nadu topped in availing educational loans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Kamal Haasan urges agitators to stay calm, says `none can take away your rights`
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS