Budget research and analysis need of the hour: Ansari
Thiruvananthapuram: Advanced research and training in budget planning will benefit around 2.4 lakh local self-government bodies which are in dire need of better budgetary management for financial viability and sustainability, Vice President M Hamid Ansari said on Sunday.
The importance of research and analysis in the technical and political aspects of budget planning can be gauged from the fact that besides the Centre and state governments, there are around 2.4 lakh local self-government bodies which need better budgetary management, he said.
On the importance of budget making, he said given the finite nature of financial resources, "budget making is an exercise in achieving a fine balance between competing objectives and priorities of the government, within the budgetary constraint".
Budget is not merely a statement of financial receipts and expenditure of the government, but a significant political statement of government policy and its priorities for the economy, he said.
Congratulating the University for naming the Centre after K M Mani, also the leader of Kerala Congress (M), Ansari said Mani has created history of sorts by presenting ten budgets in his capacity as Finance Minister of Kerala.
On the occasion, Mani said he was honoured that Cochin University established the Centre in his name. He said in his budgets, he had always kept the aspirations and interest of the common man in mind while presenting them.
Union Minister of State for HRD Shashi Tharoor, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, and Leader of Opposition in Kerala Assembly VS Achuthanandan were among those spoke on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Pokemon Go daily used twice as much as Facebook
- Virat Kohli: Five incredible records set by India captain during 200-run knock
- In Gujarat, 95 of 100 suspects in crimes against Dalits acquitted
- Four people killed in Darjeeling building collapse
- Congress sounds UP poll bugle; Sonia, Rahul flag off three-day bus Yatra '27 Saal UP Behaal'