Budget research and analysis need of the hour: Ansari
Thiruvananthapuram: Advanced research and training in budget planning will benefit around 2.4 lakh local self-government bodies which are in dire need of better budgetary management for financial viability and sustainability, Vice President M Hamid Ansari said on Sunday.
The importance of research and analysis in the technical and political aspects of budget planning can be gauged from the fact that besides the Centre and state governments, there are around 2.4 lakh local self-government bodies which need better budgetary management, he said.
On the importance of budget making, he said given the finite nature of financial resources, "budget making is an exercise in achieving a fine balance between competing objectives and priorities of the government, within the budgetary constraint".
Budget is not merely a statement of financial receipts and expenditure of the government, but a significant political statement of government policy and its priorities for the economy, he said.
Congratulating the University for naming the Centre after K M Mani, also the leader of Kerala Congress (M), Ansari said Mani has created history of sorts by presenting ten budgets in his capacity as Finance Minister of Kerala.
On the occasion, Mani said he was honoured that Cochin University established the Centre in his name. He said in his budgets, he had always kept the aspirations and interest of the common man in mind while presenting them.
Union Minister of State for HRD Shashi Tharoor, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, and Leader of Opposition in Kerala Assembly VS Achuthanandan were among those spoke on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened