Budget unimaginative, low on substance: BJP
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party on Thursday dubbed Union Budget 2013-14 as unimaginative, dull and low on substance, which has very little for the farmers and the middle class.
Speaking to the press after the presentation of the budget in the Lok Sabha by Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram, Leader of the Opposition in the house Sushma Swaraj said, “Agriculture and manufacturing should have been the focus, along with decrease in price rise…but everybody is disappointed.”
Pointing to the Finance Minister’s assertion that women, youth and poor were the three faces that he focused upon, Swaraj claimed that they have not been given anything.
“They have given a cosmetic all-women bank, no new scheme to generate jobs and not even anything for the poor. The Direct Cash Transfer is only what had already been given. The Finance Minister did not see the face of the farmer nor of the aam admi, who voted the government to power,” she said.
“It is an unimaginative, dull budget. Everybody expected the budget – as it comes before the next elections – to bring to hope to the nation but we all are very much disappointed. Aam admi has not been named even once in the budget,” she added.
Her counterpart in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley claimed that the Finance Minister only indulged in jugglery by marginally increasing taxes in certain categories and substantially reducing expenditure.
“The budget is verbose but low on substance,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest