Bus torching: Soofiya Madani to be prosecuted
Thiruvananthapuram: The Union Home Ministry has sanctioned the prosecution of Soofiya Madani, wife of jailed Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leader Abdul Nasser Madani, and all the 13 accused in the 2005 Kalamassery bus burning case, a government order says.
Soofiya is the tenth accused in the case that was earlier being investigated by the Kerala Police. She was arrested on December 18 last year and was released on bail on December 23 by a Kochi court.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) will carry out the prosecution and file the chargesheet in the case in the next few days.
The incident took place in 2005 when alleged PDP activists burned a state-owned Tamil Nadu public transport bus after reports surfaced that Abdul Nasser Madani, who was in a Coimbatore jail, was treated badly.
The case was lying dormant for long but the Kerala Police got into action after reports surfaced that the now arrested T Nazeer, self-styled south India chief of militant outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba, had links with Soofiya Madani.
Nazeer is the first accused in the bus burning case.
Abdul Nasser Madani, an accused in the 2008 serial explosions in Bangalore, was arrested by the Karnataka Police from his party office complex in Kollam district in August.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler