Buta Singh agrees to appear before CBI in bribery case
New Delhi: Buta Singh, chairman of National Commission for Scheduled Castes, on Monday informed the Delhi High Court about his willingness to be questioned by CBI in connection with the bribery case involving his son.
Singh, a former Bihar Governor, agreed to do so after
CBI clarified that he is required to be questioned as a
witness and not as an accused in the bribery case.
He said that he would be available to CBI on
September 10 at 11 am at his office and the probe agency
officials can come and question him.
Justice Geeta Mittal, after recording the statement
given by Singh`s counsel, disposed the matter and asked the
investigating agency to question Buta Singh on the date given
The High Court had on August 26 sought response from
the CBI on a petition filed by Singh, who had accused the
probe agency of illegally summoning him for interrogation in
an alleged bribery case.
Singh had contended that he holds a post of Cabinet
rank and the CBI cannot question or interrogate him without
taking sanction from the Centre.
He had on August 25 approached the Delhi High Court
challenging CBI`s notice to appear before it in connection
with a case of alleged bribery against his son Sarobjit Singh.
Buta Singh`s son was arrested on July 31 by CBI for
allegedly demanding a bribe of Rs one crore from a Nashik-
based contractor to close an atrocity case against him pending
before the Scheduled Caste Commission headed by his father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow