Buta Singh agrees to appear before CBI in bribery case
New Delhi: Buta Singh, chairman of National Commission for Scheduled Castes, on Monday informed the Delhi High Court about his willingness to be questioned by CBI in connection with the bribery case involving his son.
Singh, a former Bihar Governor, agreed to do so after
CBI clarified that he is required to be questioned as a
witness and not as an accused in the bribery case.
He said that he would be available to CBI on
September 10 at 11 am at his office and the probe agency
officials can come and question him.
Justice Geeta Mittal, after recording the statement
given by Singh`s counsel, disposed the matter and asked the
investigating agency to question Buta Singh on the date given
The High Court had on August 26 sought response from
the CBI on a petition filed by Singh, who had accused the
probe agency of illegally summoning him for interrogation in
an alleged bribery case.
Singh had contended that he holds a post of Cabinet
rank and the CBI cannot question or interrogate him without
taking sanction from the Centre.
He had on August 25 approached the Delhi High Court
challenging CBI`s notice to appear before it in connection
with a case of alleged bribery against his son Sarobjit Singh.
Buta Singh`s son was arrested on July 31 by CBI for
allegedly demanding a bribe of Rs one crore from a Nashik-
based contractor to close an atrocity case against him pending
before the Scheduled Caste Commission headed by his father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!