Buta Singh agrees to appear before CBI in bribery case
New Delhi: Buta Singh, chairman of National Commission for Scheduled Castes, on Monday informed the Delhi High Court about his willingness to be questioned by CBI in connection with the bribery case involving his son.
Singh, a former Bihar Governor, agreed to do so after
CBI clarified that he is required to be questioned as a
witness and not as an accused in the bribery case.
He said that he would be available to CBI on
September 10 at 11 am at his office and the probe agency
officials can come and question him.
Justice Geeta Mittal, after recording the statement
given by Singh`s counsel, disposed the matter and asked the
investigating agency to question Buta Singh on the date given
The High Court had on August 26 sought response from
the CBI on a petition filed by Singh, who had accused the
probe agency of illegally summoning him for interrogation in
an alleged bribery case.
Singh had contended that he holds a post of Cabinet
rank and the CBI cannot question or interrogate him without
taking sanction from the Centre.
He had on August 25 approached the Delhi High Court
challenging CBI`s notice to appear before it in connection
with a case of alleged bribery against his son Sarobjit Singh.
Buta Singh`s son was arrested on July 31 by CBI for
allegedly demanding a bribe of Rs one crore from a Nashik-
based contractor to close an atrocity case against him pending
before the Scheduled Caste Commission headed by his father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY