Buta slams CBI for summons; refuses to appear
New Delhi: Refusing to appear before the
CBI in connection with a corruption case involving his son,
Buta Singh has made it clear that the agency had no mandate to
summon him as he was a Constitutional functionary having
powers of a civil court.
In a two page letter to CBI Director Ashwani Kumar,
Singh, Chairman of the National Commission for Schedule Caste
(NCSC), questioned the CBI summoning a constitutional
functionary "without following the mandate of law".
He said the stature of the NCSC itself was that of a
civil court. "Consequently, the Chairman of the NCSC holds and
exercises the respective powers of civil court. Also there is
a settled procedure in law and no police official or CBI
official can issue them direct letter, calling them to appear
Singh was asked to appear before the agency on or before
today but he did not turn up. His son Sarabjot Singh was
arrested by the CBI on July 31 for allegedly taking bribe of
Rs one crore from a Nashik-based contractor to settle his case
before the NCSC.
"Incidentally, this act of summoning the constitutional
authorities without following the mandate of law has been
given undue publicity in media also by the concerned CBI
officials and the same is not only derogatory but reflects the
arrogance on part of those CBI officials."
The NCSC chairman said in his letter that CBI officials
who are summoning him "have not cited" the provisions of law
under which they are calling a constitutional functionary for
"Most astonishing, as it can be observed in the annexed
letter, is that the officials of CBI who are causing the
issuance of the said letter are conscious of the fact that
they are asking the Chairman of the National Commission for
Scheduled Caste to appear before them, under their own
signatures and without citing the provisions of the law under
which, they derive such power," he wrote.
Singh demanded action against the officers who have
given the publicity to the issue by leaking the news of
summoning him to the media.
"Since the letter which has been received in the office
of the Chairman, National Commission for Scheduled Caste, and
had been addressed to him in his official capacity had been
given undue, unwarranted and unprecedented publicity in the
media by the officials themselves, it would be imperative that
swift and immediate action on such violation of law should be
taken against erring officials," the letter read.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title