Buta slams CBI for summons; refuses to appear
New Delhi: Refusing to appear before the
CBI in connection with a corruption case involving his son,
Buta Singh has made it clear that the agency had no mandate to
summon him as he was a Constitutional functionary having
powers of a civil court.
In a two page letter to CBI Director Ashwani Kumar,
Singh, Chairman of the National Commission for Schedule Caste
(NCSC), questioned the CBI summoning a constitutional
functionary "without following the mandate of law".
He said the stature of the NCSC itself was that of a
civil court. "Consequently, the Chairman of the NCSC holds and
exercises the respective powers of civil court. Also there is
a settled procedure in law and no police official or CBI
official can issue them direct letter, calling them to appear
Singh was asked to appear before the agency on or before
today but he did not turn up. His son Sarabjot Singh was
arrested by the CBI on July 31 for allegedly taking bribe of
Rs one crore from a Nashik-based contractor to settle his case
before the NCSC.
"Incidentally, this act of summoning the constitutional
authorities without following the mandate of law has been
given undue publicity in media also by the concerned CBI
officials and the same is not only derogatory but reflects the
arrogance on part of those CBI officials."
The NCSC chairman said in his letter that CBI officials
who are summoning him "have not cited" the provisions of law
under which they are calling a constitutional functionary for
"Most astonishing, as it can be observed in the annexed
letter, is that the officials of CBI who are causing the
issuance of the said letter are conscious of the fact that
they are asking the Chairman of the National Commission for
Scheduled Caste to appear before them, under their own
signatures and without citing the provisions of the law under
which, they derive such power," he wrote.
Singh demanded action against the officers who have
given the publicity to the issue by leaking the news of
summoning him to the media.
"Since the letter which has been received in the office
of the Chairman, National Commission for Scheduled Caste, and
had been addressed to him in his official capacity had been
given undue, unwarranted and unprecedented publicity in the
media by the officials themselves, it would be imperative that
swift and immediate action on such violation of law should be
taken against erring officials," the letter read.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings