By jailing Anna govt looked undemocratic: US
Washington: Several scams have seriously
dented the image of Congress-led UPA government and positioned opposition BJP in better place for the 2014 elections, and by jailing Anna Hazare the government looked both "inept and
undemocratic", a Congressional report on India has said.
"By jailing Hazare, the government looked both inept and
undemocratic, and united a wide range of otherwise reluctant
actors in support of Hazare`s movement," said Congressional
Research Service (CRS) in its latest report `India: Domestic
Issues, Strategic Dynamics and US Relations,` which gives a
detailed account of the anti-corruption movement in India.
An independent and bipartisan wing of the US Congress,
the CRS prepares periodic reports on issues of interest to the
The 94-page report was released by the CRS for US
lawmakers on September 1, a copy of which made public by the
Federation of American Scientists yesterday.
By the spring of 2011, negative emotions sparked by
months long revelations of high-level corruption reached the
point where mass public mobilisation could occur, the CRS
report said, adding two figures Baba Ramdev and Anna Hazare
were notable in initiating this development.
"In early June, yoga guru Ramdev staged a major anti-
corruption protest in the Indian capital and launched his own
mass hunger strike to demand government action to recover
"That night, after apparently inaccurate reports that the
government had acceded to Ramdev`s demands, hundreds of police
swept through the protesters, using tear gas and batons to
disperse them; at least 30 people were injured," the report
said, adding critics accused the government of using
unnecessary force against peaceful protesters.
Government officials said that Ramdev`s permit allowed
him only yoga and not a political demonstration; police said
that permit was for a maximum of 5,000 attendees and some
40,000-60,000 showed up, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof