By meeting Imam, Sonia Gandhi committed "blunder": Jethmalani
Madurai: Senior Supreme Court advocate Ram Jethmalani on Saturday said Congress President Sonia Gandhi had committed a "blunder" by meeting Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid Syed Ahmed Bukhari.
Talking to reporters here, he said Congress spoke about secularism and seek support of Muslim clerics for votes. The party had been following vote bank politics, and it was a dangerous strategy, he said.
Jethmalani, who is here to campaign for MDMK candidate Vaiko in Virudhunagar Lok Sabha constitutency, sought the support of Tamil super star Rajinikanth to make Narendra Modi as Prime Minister.
"Rajinikanth is a popular man in Tamil Nadu. He should use his popularity to save the nation from the catastrophe being faced by the nation. Rajini should support Modi to become the Prime Minister", Jethmalani said.
Modi had great qualities of a leader. He had courage and conviction. He was not a communal man, Jethmalani said.
Modi had rehabilitated thousands of Muslims in Kutch after the earth quake. He felt that people of all religions should be educated and it was in Gujarat that maximum number of Muslims received higher education and 28 Muslim organisations had supported him. He had secured 31 per cent of Muslim votes in Gujarat during the successive elections, Jethmalanai said.
Asked why he is not supporting AAP if he wanted to fight against corruption, Jethmalani said AAP leader Aravind Kejriwal required years to prove his mettle.
He initially said the party would contest only in Delhi elections and after that Modi would be supported. It seemed they were interested in dividing anti-corruption votes, Jethmalani said.
Asked why appeared for Kani mozhi in the 2G case, he said as a lawyer he could not turn away any person who comes to him to file a case for defending.
Jethmalani said he would be forced to take contempt action against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh if the Centre did not constitute a special investigation team to initiate steps for bringing back black money stashed in foreign banks and tax havens.
He said the Supreme Court had already ordered to constitute the SIT.
However, no action had been taken, he said and wondered why the government was delaying it.
He said according to a report, USD 1.6 billion had been taken out of India between 2001-05.
He claimed that German government had the list of all the names of persons who had stashed money in the tax havens and Swiss banks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Rajnath Singh assures alternative to pellet guns in Kashmir; Mufti says stone-pelting, attacking security camps won't bring peace
- Rs 5 lakh compensation to family of woman devoured by dogs in Kerala
- At least 3 killed in suicide attack in Afghanistan's Balkh province
- UN General Assembly President-elect to visit India
- India needs to tread the innovation path to progress