By-polls to Kadapa, Bastar LS seats on May 8
New Delhi: Bye-elections to Kadapa Lok
Sabha seat in Andhra Pradesh, held by former Congress MP YS
Jaganmohan Reddy and Bastar Parliamentary seat would be held
on May 8, the Election Commission announced on Wednesday.
By-polls to three Assembly seats - one each in Andhra
Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Nagaland - would also be held on the
The Assembly seats include Pulivendula, held by
Jagan`s mother, Vijayalaxmi, who had also resigned as MLA
after her son revolted against the party and decided to float
his new party.
Jagan, the son of late chief minister YS Rajasekhara
Reddy, walked out of the Congress party in November last after
his television channel telecast a programme projecting Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi in bad
light, inviting sharp reaction from partymen.
Elections to the Bastar Lok Sabha seat in Chhattisgarh
has been necessitated following the death of veteran BJP
leader and sitting MP Baliram Kashyap early this month.
By-polls to Pipraich (UP) and Aonglenden (Nagaland)
would also be held.
According to poll schedule, the notification would be
issued on April 11. Last date for filing nominations would be
on April 18 and scrutiny the following day. Last date for
withdrawal of nominations would be on April 21.
Counting of votes would take place on May 13.
Model Code of Conduct would come into force with
immediate effect in the districts in which the Assembly and
Lok Sabha constituencies fall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- RBI proposes to regulate peer-to-peer lending sector
- Mamta Kulkarni's husband involved in country's biggest drug seizure?
- US economy expands 0.5% in Q1, slowest in two years
- MUST WATCH: What Indian Muslims said when they were asked to say 'Vande Matram', 'Bharat Mata ki Jai'
- Uber partners Gurugram Police in a bid to curb drunken driving