Bypoll a `referendum` on Lokpal: Team Anna
New Delhi: With Congress biting the dust in
Hisar bypolls, Team Anna today said the ruling party should
take a lesson from the defeat and ensure passage of the Jan
Lokpal Bill as the election was a "referendum" on it.
"It is a referendum on Jan Lokpal Bill. Congress should
take a lesson and now pass Jan Lokpal Bill," a Team Anna
member Arvind Kejriwal said.
Haryana Janhit Congress chief Kuldeep Bishnoi, who was
supported by BJP, won the Hisar bypolls defeating INLD`s Ajay
Chautala. Congress` Jai Prakash was in the third position.
"This is voters` verdict. Team Anna all along made the
voters aware of the party position concerning the Lokpal bill.
It claims no credit for anything, for that was not the
"It only did what was a logical movement in order that
such MPs reach parliament whose party presidents commit to
support JLPB on the floor of the house. All others had given
(in Hisar) except the Congress. And it was for voters to
decide," another Team Anna member Kiran Bedi said.
Team Anna had campaigned against Congress in Hisar after
the party refused to give an undertaking that it will support
Jan Lokpal Bill in Parliament.
The decision to oppose Congress in the bypolls did not go
down well with some sections as they argued that the Team had
earlier set Winter Session of Parliament as a deadline for the
passage of the bill.
Reflecting a rift within Team Anna Hazare, Justice
Santosh Hegde has disapproved of the anti-Congress campaign by
Kejriwal during Hisar bypolls, saying it was not the right
thing to do and "we jumped the gun".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal