Bypolls to 4 Lok Sabha, 6 assembly seats on June 2
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Friday announced bye-elections on June 2 for filling up vacancies of four Lok Sabha seats in Bihar, Gujarat and West Bengal and 6 assembly constituencies in Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and Gujarat.
The bypolls would be held for Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat in Bihar, Porbandar and Banaskantha seats in Gujarat and Howrah Parliamentary seat in West Bengal, which have fallen vacant.
Announcing the election schedule here today after taking into consideration various factors like festivals, electoral rolls, etc., the Commission has said the notification for the bypolls would be issued on May 8 and the last date for making nominations is May 15.
After scrutiny the next day, last date for withdrawal of candidatures is May 18 and polling would be held from 8 AM to 5 PM on June 2 and counting on June 5.
Among the Assembly constituencies which will go to polls are Yavatmal seat in Maharashtra, Handia AC in Uttar Pradesh and Morva Hadaf (ST), Limbdi, Dhoraji and Jetpur assembly in the state of Gujarat.
The Model Code of Conduct will be enforced with immediate effect and the EC has decided to use EVMs in the bye-elections in all the polling stations.
The electoral rolls of the Parliamentary/Assembly Constituencies where bye-elections are being held have been revised with reference to January 1, 2013 as the qualifying date.
The rolls have been finally published in Bihar on January 21, 2013, in Gujarat on March 26, 2013, in Maharashtra on January 15, 2013, in Uttar Pradesh on January 15, 2013 and in West Bengal on January 5, 2013 and January 21, 2013.
In consonance with the past practice, the Commission has decided that the voter’s identification shall be mandatory in the aforementioned bye-elections at the time of poll.
Electoral Photo Identity Cards (EPIC) shall be the main document of identity of a voter. However, in order to ensure that no voter is deprived of his/her franchise, if his/her name figures in the Electoral Rolls, separate instructions will be issued to allow other documents for identification of voters at the time of poll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors