Bypolls to 4 Lok Sabha, 6 assembly seats on June 2
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Friday announced bye-elections on June 2 for filling up vacancies of four Lok Sabha seats in Bihar, Gujarat and West Bengal and 6 assembly constituencies in Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and Gujarat.
The bypolls would be held for Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat in Bihar, Porbandar and Banaskantha seats in Gujarat and Howrah Parliamentary seat in West Bengal, which have fallen vacant.
Announcing the election schedule here today after taking into consideration various factors like festivals, electoral rolls, etc., the Commission has said the notification for the bypolls would be issued on May 8 and the last date for making nominations is May 15.
After scrutiny the next day, last date for withdrawal of candidatures is May 18 and polling would be held from 8 AM to 5 PM on June 2 and counting on June 5.
Among the Assembly constituencies which will go to polls are Yavatmal seat in Maharashtra, Handia AC in Uttar Pradesh and Morva Hadaf (ST), Limbdi, Dhoraji and Jetpur assembly in the state of Gujarat.
The Model Code of Conduct will be enforced with immediate effect and the EC has decided to use EVMs in the bye-elections in all the polling stations.
The electoral rolls of the Parliamentary/Assembly Constituencies where bye-elections are being held have been revised with reference to January 1, 2013 as the qualifying date.
The rolls have been finally published in Bihar on January 21, 2013, in Gujarat on March 26, 2013, in Maharashtra on January 15, 2013, in Uttar Pradesh on January 15, 2013 and in West Bengal on January 5, 2013 and January 21, 2013.
In consonance with the past practice, the Commission has decided that the voter’s identification shall be mandatory in the aforementioned bye-elections at the time of poll.
Electoral Photo Identity Cards (EPIC) shall be the main document of identity of a voter. However, in order to ensure that no voter is deprived of his/her franchise, if his/her name figures in the Electoral Rolls, separate instructions will be issued to allow other documents for identification of voters at the time of poll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured