C-130J Super Hercules: India`s tactical aircraft
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Indian Air Force`s (IAF) newly-acquired C-130J Super Hercules aircraft, which crashed near Gwalior on Friday is considered to be one of the most modern aircraft - configured for special operations and airborne assault.
Five armed forces personnel were killed when the C-130J transport aircraft crashed an hour after taking off from Agra airbase for an exercise. The `Black Box` of the aircraft has been recovered and is being analysed to assess the reason for the crash.
The C-130J aircraft manufactured by Lockheed Martin is fitted with four Rolls Royce engines and can operate out of 2,000 foot-long dirt strips in high mountain ranges.
The Boeing C-17 Globemaster III heavy airlifters, which are being used by 70 countries can operate in extreme climates, transport large payloads across vast distances and land on short, austere runways - and even reverse.
In recent times, the IAF`s C-130J Super Hercules medium-lift aircraft had landed at the highest airstrip in the world - the Daulat Beg Oldie in Ladakh close to the Chinese border.
India bought the six aircraft in January 2008 for USD 1.2 billion and the manufacturer, Lockheed Martin, began deliveries in January 2011. The six aircraft were based at the Hindon air base in Ghaziabad near the national capital from February, 2011.
The C-130J, which has boosted airlift capacities of the IAF has the ability to touch speeds of 700 km.p.h.
The C-17s has helped India`s plan in a big way to strengthen its capabilities along the disputed border with China.
India had recently inducted six C-130J Super Hercules aircraft, which were bought from the US at the cost of around Rs 6,000 crore (USD 1.1 billion) four years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery