Cabinet approves bill on Indo-Bangla land boundary pact
New Delhi: Government Wednesday approved a Constitutional Amendment Bill which will facilitate the implementation of the India-Bangladesh boundary agreement signed in 2011.
The Union Cabinet, in a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, gave its nod to the draft of the Constitutional Bill to amend the India-Bangladesh Land Boundary Agreement, 1974, official sources said here.
Additional protocols for 1974 Land Boundary Agreement, signed during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit to Dhaka in September 2011, require a constitutional amendment for ratification as these involve exchange of land in 111 Indian enclaves in Bangladesh and 51 Bangladeshi enclaves on Indian soil, they said.
Bangladesh has already ratified the pact. Indian enclaves in Bangladesh are spread over 17,149 acres, while Bangladesh enclaves in India are located in 7,110 acres of land.
The Bill is expected to be tabled in the coming Budget session of Parliament for Parliamentary approval.
BJP, however, has opposed the land swap agreement with Bangladesh saying that the country`s territorial integrity stands to be compromised. It has also passed resolutions in the past opposing any such agreement.
The main opposition party has been demanding complete details of the land transfer protocols with tabling of relevant survey maps in Parliament and a comprehensive discussion before any step is taken up to part with Indian territories.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know