Cabinet approves first all-women university in Raebareli
New Delhi: The country`s first university only for women is set to come up at Raebareli in Uttar Pradesh with the government on Thursday clearing a proposal in this regard.
The university, which would focus on research and higher studies, would be named after late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, who represented Raebareli during a substantive part of her political career.
At present, the constituency is represented by Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
The proposal, which received the Union Cabinet`s nod today, would be set up at a cost of Rs 500 crore during the 12th Plan Period.
A bill namely the `Indira Gandhi National University for Women` will be introduced in the coming Monsoon Session of Parliament, I&B Minister Manish Tewari told reporters here, adding that the varsity will be set up following its passage.
The establishment of the varsity would "set the pace for all-round growth and development of women in the country and supplement the efforts of the government for women`s empowerment by giving them an increased access to employment oriented basic courses and high-end research," a government statement also said.
Of the total of 121 crore population in the country, there are 58.6 crore women. They constitute 9.5 crore of the population in Uttar Pradesh alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery