Cabinet approves first all-women university in Raebareli
New Delhi: The country`s first university only for women is set to come up at Raebareli in Uttar Pradesh with the government on Thursday clearing a proposal in this regard.
The university, which would focus on research and higher studies, would be named after late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, who represented Raebareli during a substantive part of her political career.
At present, the constituency is represented by Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
The proposal, which received the Union Cabinet`s nod today, would be set up at a cost of Rs 500 crore during the 12th Plan Period.
A bill namely the `Indira Gandhi National University for Women` will be introduced in the coming Monsoon Session of Parliament, I&B Minister Manish Tewari told reporters here, adding that the varsity will be set up following its passage.
The establishment of the varsity would "set the pace for all-round growth and development of women in the country and supplement the efforts of the government for women`s empowerment by giving them an increased access to employment oriented basic courses and high-end research," a government statement also said.
Of the total of 121 crore population in the country, there are 58.6 crore women. They constitute 9.5 crore of the population in Uttar Pradesh alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh