Cabinet approves formation of Mahadayi water disputes tribunal
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet on Thursday approved
the proposal for constitution of Mahadayi Water Disputes
Tribunal, a request which was sent by Goa in 2002, consisting
of a Chairman and two members nominated by the Chief Justice
The two members to be nominated by CJI will be Judges of
the Supreme Court or High Court. The Cabinet also approved
creation of posts of Chairman and two members and two
Assessors for adjudication of Mahadayi water dispute.
The Mahadayi Water Disputes Tribunal would adjudicate the
water dispute between Goa and Karnataka. Maharashtra also
stands to benefit from its adjudication.
The Government of Goa had sent a request in July 2002 to
the Central Government for constitution of a Tribunal for
adjudication of the water disputes with Karnataka relating to
Ministry of Water Resources tried to resolve the dispute,
failing which the tribunal was formed.
The Tribunal has to submit its report within three years,
which is extendable by a period not exceeding two years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed