Cabinet approves formation of Mahadayi water disputes tribunal
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet on Thursday approved
the proposal for constitution of Mahadayi Water Disputes
Tribunal, a request which was sent by Goa in 2002, consisting
of a Chairman and two members nominated by the Chief Justice
The two members to be nominated by CJI will be Judges of
the Supreme Court or High Court. The Cabinet also approved
creation of posts of Chairman and two members and two
Assessors for adjudication of Mahadayi water dispute.
The Mahadayi Water Disputes Tribunal would adjudicate the
water dispute between Goa and Karnataka. Maharashtra also
stands to benefit from its adjudication.
The Government of Goa had sent a request in July 2002 to
the Central Government for constitution of a Tribunal for
adjudication of the water disputes with Karnataka relating to
Ministry of Water Resources tried to resolve the dispute,
failing which the tribunal was formed.
The Tribunal has to submit its report within three years,
which is extendable by a period not exceeding two years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- 7th Pay Commission: No annual increment for govt employees if performance not upto the mark
- 7th Pay Commission: Chiefs of regulatory bodies to get Rs 4.5 lakh pay
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' joins Rs 200 crore club in India
- Now, AAP demands 'dope test' on parliamentarians
- 7th Pay Commission Notification: 10 key facts you must know