Cabinet clears scholarship scheme for ST students
New Delhi: A scholarship scheme aimed at checking dropout of tribal students after the elementary level and improve their enrollment was approved by the government on Thursday, a move which will benefit about 22 lakh students every year.
The scheme will cost the Centre around Rs 2700 crore during the five years of the entire 12th plan.
The new centrally-sponsored scheme of pre-Matric scholarship for Scheduled Tribe (ST) students studying in class nine and ten will cover only those students whose parents` annual income does not exceed Rs two lakh.
The scheme approved by the Union Cabinet is expected to go a long way in improving participation of ST students enrolled full time in secondary education in government schools, in a school recognised by government or a central/ state board of secondary education.
The scheme will help minimize the incidence of dropout, especially in transition from the elementary to the secondary stage of education, the official spokesperson said.
The scheme in which about 22 lakh ST students are estimated to be covered every year during the 12th five year plan will be introduced with effect from July 1 this year.
The scheme will be implemented through state governments and the administration of union territories, which will receive 100 percent central assistance for expenditure under the scheme over and above their committed liability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Riteish Deshmukh pays tribute to father on 70th birth anniversary!
- Snapdeal partners Puravankara to sell flats with assured rent
- Like things to be poetic in music, says Rabbi Shergill
- Andhra Pradesh Integrated Common Entrance Test Results, APICET 2016 Results to be declared on May 27; check apicet.net.in
- Humiliation bothers obese air travellers the most