Cabinet clears scholarship scheme for ST students
New Delhi: A scholarship scheme aimed at checking dropout of tribal students after the elementary level and improve their enrollment was approved by the government on Thursday, a move which will benefit about 22 lakh students every year.
The scheme will cost the Centre around Rs 2700 crore during the five years of the entire 12th plan.
The new centrally-sponsored scheme of pre-Matric scholarship for Scheduled Tribe (ST) students studying in class nine and ten will cover only those students whose parents` annual income does not exceed Rs two lakh.
The scheme approved by the Union Cabinet is expected to go a long way in improving participation of ST students enrolled full time in secondary education in government schools, in a school recognised by government or a central/ state board of secondary education.
The scheme will help minimize the incidence of dropout, especially in transition from the elementary to the secondary stage of education, the official spokesperson said.
The scheme in which about 22 lakh ST students are estimated to be covered every year during the 12th five year plan will be introduced with effect from July 1 this year.
The scheme will be implemented through state governments and the administration of union territories, which will receive 100 percent central assistance for expenditure under the scheme over and above their committed liability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'