Cabinet decision on spectrum pricing proves Sibal wrong: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Monday said the Cabinet decision to fix Rs 14,000 crore as the reserve price for 2G spectrum proves that the zero loss theory of Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal was wrong and demanded an apology from him.
"The UPA government stands exposed on the valuation of 2G spectrum. With the new floor price set at Rs 14,000 crore for a Pan India licence, the government`s earlier stand that pricing spectrum at Rs 1650 crore has caused zero loss has fallen flat," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.
He hit out at Sibal for defending his predecessor in the Telecom Ministry A Raja during whose tenure the 2G spectrum price was fixed at Rs 1,650 crore.
"Now Sibal owes an explanation whether his zero loss argument had any merit or was made for political expediency. BJP believes that the zero loss argument was a shameless attempt to defend this corruption. Government needs to answer the recent remarks of the CAG on this issue," Javadekar said.
"The government owes an explanation as to what is the basis of arriving at the price of Rs 14,000 crore. The reserve price recommended by TRAI was arrived at, after following a methodical approach. BJP also raises a question of propriety as to why the government did not refer back to the TRAI, the rejig of the reserve price from Rs 18,000 crore to 14,000 crore," Javadekar said.
The main Opposition also sought an assurance from the government on how it was going to ensure fair auction process and allay widespread fears of cartelization.
Javadekar further said his party finds the announcements related to the new spectrum pricing devoid of any long term vision on ensuring the health of the industry and protecting the interests of the millions of consumers affected by the "misdeeds" of this government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'