Cabinet decision on spectrum pricing proves Sibal wrong: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Monday said the Cabinet decision to fix Rs 14,000 crore as the reserve price for 2G spectrum proves that the zero loss theory of Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal was wrong and demanded an apology from him.
"The UPA government stands exposed on the valuation of 2G spectrum. With the new floor price set at Rs 14,000 crore for a Pan India licence, the government`s earlier stand that pricing spectrum at Rs 1650 crore has caused zero loss has fallen flat," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.
He hit out at Sibal for defending his predecessor in the Telecom Ministry A Raja during whose tenure the 2G spectrum price was fixed at Rs 1,650 crore.
"Now Sibal owes an explanation whether his zero loss argument had any merit or was made for political expediency. BJP believes that the zero loss argument was a shameless attempt to defend this corruption. Government needs to answer the recent remarks of the CAG on this issue," Javadekar said.
"The government owes an explanation as to what is the basis of arriving at the price of Rs 14,000 crore. The reserve price recommended by TRAI was arrived at, after following a methodical approach. BJP also raises a question of propriety as to why the government did not refer back to the TRAI, the rejig of the reserve price from Rs 18,000 crore to 14,000 crore," Javadekar said.
The main Opposition also sought an assurance from the government on how it was going to ensure fair auction process and allay widespread fears of cartelization.
Javadekar further said his party finds the announcements related to the new spectrum pricing devoid of any long term vision on ensuring the health of the industry and protecting the interests of the millions of consumers affected by the "misdeeds" of this government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?