Cabinet defers decision on changes in SC, ST Act
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet on Thursday deferred a decision on amendments moved by the Ministry of Social Justice for making harsher the provisions of SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
The ministry in its amendments had also sought to bring more crimes under the Act`s purview but sources said the Cabinet deferred a decision on them.
It, however, passed the ministry`s proposal to enhance the authorised share capital of Backward Classes Finance and Development Corporation from existing Rs 700 crore to Rs 1500 crore.
In the amendments proposed in the Act, the ministry had sought to bring obstructing use of common property, allegations of witchcraft, preventing entry in place of worship, social and economic boycott and promoting enmity among other offences under it.
Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Kumar Selja had stressed on the need for amendments in the Act, saying crimes against the SC and ST remain rampant.
The ministry also wants various others crimes, including rape and kidnapping, to attract the provision of the Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!