Cabinet defers Land Acquisition Bill
Land Acquisition Bill was deferred by the Union Cabinet on Thursday as some ministers wanted more time to study the proposed legislation.
The amended Bill, which has been rechristened The Right to Fair Compensation, Resettlement, Rehabilitation and Transparency in Land Acquisition Bill was listed in its agenda at the last minute.
The Bill was listed as one of the last items for consideration. It is learnt that some ministers, including C P Joshi, sought more time to go through it.
"Hopefully, it will be taken up in the next Cabinet meeting," the source said.
Government has said in Parliament that provisions have been made in the revised Land Acquisition Bill incorporating recommendations of the Parliamentary Standing Committee to protect the rights of farmers on land and to check the number of families displaced by land acquisition.
Seeking to dispel the impression that the Bill will only
be pro-farmer, Rural Development Minister has also said current economic circumstances dictate the need for making it "more investor-friendly".
He has said it is the endeavour of the government to bring it in the current session of Parliament which concludes on September 7.
According to the government, the Bill "endeavours to protect multi-cropped irrigated lands from land acquisition, so as not to adversely affect food safety of the country".
The Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Bill, 2011 was introduced in Parliament in September last year and was referred to a Parliamentary Standing Committee which submitted its recommendation in May this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’