‘Cabinet may meet on Food Bill on Sunday’
New Delhi: With the government deferring a decision on the Food Security Bill as talks have been
inconclusive, Food Minister K V Thomas Wednesday said Cabinet is
likely to meet this Sunday to discuss the important
However, Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said the views
of some states still need to be taken on board before clearing
the draft Bill and hoped that in the next 8-10 days, a final
discussion would take place.
"A special Cabinet is coming on Sunday, that is what I
understand. That we will discuss that matter because this is a
major Bill, discussions have to take place little more
threadbare," Thomas told reporters here on the sidelines of a
function on procurement.
Speaking on the sidelines of same function, Pawar -- who
heads the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), an important ally
of the UPA government -- emphasised that state governments
need to be taken into confidence, as they would implement the
"The government is committed to bring the Food Security
Bill. This issue is a serious issue. Its implementation is a
big responsibility for the state governments. We here will
take the decisions, but it is the state governments who would
be implementing it," he said.
"The Centre is of the opinion that it has to take states
into confidence while taking decisions on the Food Security
Bill. So the discussions on this issue are on. I feel that in
the next 8-10 days, a final discussion on this issue will take
place and Cabinet will have a common view on it," he added.
Cabinet had yesterday deferred a decision on the Food
Bill -- a pet project of Congress President Sonia Gandhi -- as
discussions remained inconclusive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video