Cabinet may take final call on `control` definition this week
New Delhi: The government is likely to take a final call on the definition of "control" in mergers and acquisitions, especially those involving foreign companies, amid uncertainties over the Rs 2,058 crore Jet-Etihad deal.
"The Cabinet is likely to take up the issues related to definition of `control` on Wednesday or Thursday," a senior Commerce & Industry official said.
The Jet-Etihad deal, the largest in the Indian aviation sector that would see Abu Dhabi-based carrier buying 24 per cent in the domestic airlines, has hit regulatory hurdles mainly due to issues of "control and ownership" post the transaction.
According to the official, the new definition of "control" would be mostly in line with that proposed in the new Companies Bill.
As per the Companies Bill, which is awaiting Rajya Sabha approval, "control" shall include the right to appoint majority of the directors or to control the management or policy decisions exercisable by a person or persons acting individually or in concert, directly or indirectly. This right could be exercised by virtue of their shareholding or management rights or shareholders agreements or voting agreements or in any other manner.
Under FDI policy, `control` rests with the one who has the power to appoint majority of its directors in a company. The review of control definition comes against the backdrop of ambiguities in many deals such as Jet-Etihad that involves foreign entities.
Last month, the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) had deferred a decision on Jet-Etihad proposal on grounds of `substantive ownership` and `effective control`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31