Cabinet may take up creamy layer criteria issue
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet is expected to decide on Thursday on the revision of the criteria to distinguish the creamy layer from the Other Backward Caste (OBC) communities.
A proposal in this regard is expected to come up for discussion. The proposal says families with an annual income of Rs 6 lakh or more should be removed from the list of beneficiaries of the creamy layer, sources said on Wednesday.
The limit for income was decided in 2008 which says families with an annual income of Rs 4.5 lakh and above cannot be allowed the benefits.
According to the previous recommendation made by the OBC Commission, the ceiling was kept at Rs 12 lakh per annum for urban areas and Rs 9 lakh for rural areas.
Sources said this recommendation was not financially feasible as it would have reduced the number of people that comprise the creamy layer.
The Centre had appointed a Group of Ministers (GoM) to immediately resolve the issue. It was the GoM that resolved the matter and advised the Centre to fix the ceiling at Rs 6 lakh per annum.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!