Cabinet nod to proposal on bringing down pendency
New Delhi: Aiming at reducing delay in justice delivery, the Cabinet today approved a Law Ministry proposal to operationalize a mission mode programme for developing infrastructure and bringing accountability to reduce pendency and dispose of an estimated 2.5 crore cases lying in the courts.
The Law Ministry`s proposal to set up a mission directorate under the Department of Justice - which deals with appointment and transfer of members of higher judiciary ? is part of its `National Mission for Justice Delivery and Legal Reforms`.
As part of the proposal, the Ministry plans to share 75 per cent of the grants involved in developing the infrastructure in states to bring down a spiralling number of cases, Information and broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said.
For the Northeast region, the Centre will bear 90 percent of the expenses. So far, the Centre used to share 50 percent of the grants.
The Centre will bear an estimated expenditure of Rs 5,510 crore for the next five years to achieve the objective by 2016.
Besides the directorate, an advisory council and a governing council will be set up to oversee the implementation of the mission which includes increasing accountability, re-engineering procedures and improving infrastructure of the lower judiciary.
The move is part of the `vision statement` adopted by the Conference of Chief Justices and Chief Ministers in October 2009.
The statement contained a road map for improving justice delivery and legal reforms and steps to reduce pendency in courts from 15 to three years by 2012. Now the deadline has been extended to 2016.
While the programme was operationalised today, it had received in-principle approval of the Union Cabinet in December, 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees