Cabinet reshuffle at 11.30 am on Sunday
New Delhi: The keenly-awaited cabinet reshuffle is scheduled at 11.30 am on Sunday.
"The swearing-in (of the new ministers) is due at 11.30 am," a Rashtrapati Bhavan official told a news agency.
The much-talked about cabinet rejig, necessitated by the exit of six Trinamool Congress ministers in September, is likely to see some new faces, including from the Bengal Congress, joining the UPA ministry.
Some ministers holding more than one portfolio are expected to be relieved, while some ministers of state are expected to be given cabinet rank.
There has been talk of Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi joining the ministry or playing a more important role in the party set up with general elections due in 2014 and many state polls scheduled before that.
On Friday, SM Krishna quit as external affairs minister to make way for "younger blood". Ambika Soni has stepped down as information and broadcasting minister while Subodh Kant Sahai has also quit as tourism minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Chancellor Angela Merkel to convene German security council after Munich shootings: spokesman
- Merkel aide says cannot confirm Munich shooting was terrorism
- US stocks hit new records; weak British data hits pound
- Whirlpool's biggest challenge is rapid changes in global markets: CEO
- Russia facing Rio Olympic, Paralympic ban