Cabinet reshuffle: Manmohan Singh`s new team gets down to work
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s new look team got down to work on Monday with new ministers taking charge and old ones relinquishing responsibilities after a mega revamp of the council of ministers that saw 17 new faces and many key ministries changing hands.
The major shake-up of the government on Sunday, possibly the last before the 2014 general elections, saw Salman Khurshid taking over as India`s new Foreign Minister, Pawan Kumar Bansal becoming the new man at the helm of the Railways Ministry, M Veerappa Moily being given Petroleum and MM Pallam Raju appointed Human Resource Development Minister.
Soon after taking charge of his ministry, Moily said he would work to turn the challenges faced by the oil sector into opportunities.
"Average worldwide oil consumption is 14 barrels per person per year, while in developing countries it is three barrels per person per year. In India, the picture is not so happy, with a consumption of 1.2 barrels per person per year. This is a matter of concern," he said.
S Jaipal Reddy got Science and Technology, but reports suggested that he was unhappy over his removal from the Oil Ministry. Kamal Nath got additional charge of Parliamentary Affairs besides Urban Development.
Amongst the ministers of state sworn-in were Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari who got Independent Charge of Information and Broadcasting. Earlier with Ambika Soni, the ministry has been downgraded.
Jyotiraditya Scindia took over as the new Minister of State with Independent Charge of the Power Ministry.
"It is a daunting challenge, and I look forward to the support and guidance of ministry officials and colleagues in other departments," the young MP from Madhya Pradesh told reporters soon after.
Describing the power sector as "extremely strategic and important" for the nation`s economy, Scindia said: "It is a very important ministry and it is a very big challenge, a very big charge."
The rejig exercise that sought to jettison perception of passivity in governance comes just ahead of two critical Assembly Elections in Himachal Pradesh and Gujarat.
"It is a combination of youth and experience," Manmohan Singh said on Sunday after the ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan where President Pranab Mukherjee administered the oath of office.
"The road ahead is full of challenges," he said, expressing hope that this was the last such exercise before his UPA-II government heads for elections.
Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi did not join the government - leaving the field open for him to play a larger role in the party.
Seventeen new faces were inducted on Sunday of which two ministers were of Cabinet rank.
Of the seven new ministers sworn in with Cabinet rank, two are debutants -- former Rajya Sabha deputy chairperson K Rahman Khan and Congress MP Chandresh Kumari Katoch. The other five - Ajay Maken, MM Pallam Raju, Dinsha Patel, Harish Rawat and Ashwini Kumar - have been elevated to cabinet rank.
Fifteen ministers of state were also sworn-in.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly